You can fight back against the symptoms of aging that leave your skin looking dull and worn. On the forefront of anti-aging technology, microneedling treatments can give you the edge you need to look as young and refreshed on the outside as you feel on the inside.
Microneedling treatments, when combined with PRP application, make for a powerful punch in the fight against aging.
Microneedling with PRP harnesses the power of your body’s own natural rejuvenating capabilities by creating microchannels in the skin that kick your skin’s healing response into overdrive. The treatment is non-surgical, safe, quick and convenient, with very minimal downtime required. With microneedling treatments, you can address dull skin, minor skin blemishes, and discoloration, and achieve significant skin tightening for a refreshed appearance.
Microneedling is now available at the Leffel Center. To learn more about this advanced anti-aging treatment, schedule a consultation today.
- 1 About Microneedling
- 2 Benefits of Microneedling
- 3 What Does Microneedling Treat?
- 4 Why Choose Microneedling?
- 5 Microneedling vs. Other Treatments
- 6 Laser Skin Rejuvenation
- 7 Chemical Peels
- 8 Microneedling with PRP (aka the Vampire Facial)
- 9 Microneedling and PRP Treatment Process
- 10 Recovery
- 11 Results
- 12 Pricing
Microneedling—also known as collagen induction therapy—is a skin rejuvenation treatment that enlists the use of tiny needles to create microscopic punctures in the epidermis (the surface of your skin) to improve the skin’s texture and appearance. The microneedles create “micro-injuries” to stimulate the skin’s collagen production and improve blood supply, which are essential elements to revitalizing your skin.
Collagen is a protein that exists in all our body’s tissues and provides our skin with structure and strength. It is especially important in maintaining your skin’s elasticity and firmness, which is what keeps our skin looking smooth and youthful. Unfortunately, collagen production slows down as we age, which is what contributes to the development of wrinkles, fine lines, and an aged appearance. Microneedling treatments can counteract the symptoms of aging by boosting collagen production, which in turn smooths fine lines and acne scars. More fresh collagen gives your skin renewed structure, making skin firmer, smoother, and more youthful-looking.
Benefits of Microneedling
Microneedling has been shown to be effective in reducing the signs of aging, leaving patients with smoother, radiant skin. Other major benefits of microneedling include:
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, stimulating the body’s natural elastin and collagen production
- Less expensive than laser and light treatments
- Diminishes the appearance of pockmarks and scars from acne, surgery, and other trauma by breaking up the fibrosis under the skin that occurs with injury
- Evens out skin that has become textured from acne scars and pockmarks
- Reduces the appearance of stretch marks, especially when combined with certain other laser treatments
- Halts the aging process by preventing new fine lines and wrinkles, particularly when patients are faithful about the use of antioxidant serums
- The procedure only takes about 45 minutes (which includes the time for numbing the face) and provides immediate results
- Reduces pore size and blackheads, particularly when patients are faithful about using Vitamin C serum at home
- Exfoliates the skin by sloughing off the dead skin cells on the epidermis and, although this isn’t as effective as dermaplaning for this, it definitely works
- Reduces hyperpigmentation, or blotchy and uneven skin, by increasing skin’s expression of matrix metalloproteinases
What Does Microneedling Treat?
Microneedling is used in the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles, loose skin, acne scarring, pockmarks, brown spots, hyperpigmentation, stretch marks, and skin texture issues. You might sometimes hear it referred to as skin needling, percutaneous collagen induction (PCI), collagen induction therapy (CIT), and even informally as the Vampire Facelift (when used with PRP).
- Dull Skin
- Fine lines, wrinkles
- Acne Scars
- Skin Laxity
- Stretch Marks
- Discoloration, age spots, sun damage
Why Choose Microneedling?
Microneedling is a relatively inexpensive, convenient, non-surgical, and effective facial rejuvenation treatment. Not only that, but the procedure is fairly quick, there is little downtime, and the results are long-lasting. Microneedling is also safe on all skin types and tones. Because it stimulates the body’s own, natural, collagen production, microneedling continues to offer anti-aging benefits over time.
Microneedling vs. Other Treatments
There are many skin rejuvenating and anti-aging skin treatments available. Topical creams, lasers, and chemicals can all achieve certain results, but the right treatment will depend on your body and your goals.
Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Laser treatments use light and energy. These lasers are very targeted, in that these lights will go directly to broken red veins or brown spots to treat these while leaving the surrounding tissue unaffected. Laser treatments can remove specific types of skin blemishes such as age spots, cafe-au-lait stains, tattoos, and unwanted hair. However, laser treatments have limitations based on skin types.
Chemical peels are a classic skin rejuvenation technique where a specialized blend of acids are applied to your skin’s surface for a powerful exfoliating effect. Chemical peels can clear dead skin and refresh a dull complexion, but may not be ideal for those with sensitive skin. Redness and discomfort are common with chemical peel treatments.
Microneedling with PRP (aka the Vampire Facial)
For a comprehensive anti-aging facial, microneedling can be combined with PRP treatments. While microneedling alone provides a multitude of benefits, microneedling with PRP is a hyper-charged version, taking facial rejuvenation to the next level. PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, is formulated by drawing a small amount of blood from your arm and putting it into a sterile tube. This sample is centrifuged at high speeds in order to separate your plasma from your red and white blood cells. The platelet-rich plasma—which contains a high concentration of platelets, growth factors, and stem cells—is what’s used in the treatment and acts as a supercharged, anti-aging serum. Having been used for years in dentistry, orthopedics, and other medical fields to aid in healing, skin care professionals have unlocked PRP’s incredible anti-aging benefits. The PRP helps to address dark circles and under-eye puffiness and, because it comes from your own blood, it is an all-natural treatment.
Microneedling and PRP Treatment Process
First, a numbing cream is applied to the area and given time to take effect. Then, Dr. Leffel moves microneedles across the skin with the use of a handheld device. If the treatment plan includes PRP, the PRPs that have been pre-prepared in an on-site centrifuge are applied to the skin. About half an hour before your treatment, a sample of your own blood is taken and placed into a centrifuge for processing and purification.
Microchannels are quickly filled with lymphatic fluid and because they are so small, close quickly. The microchannels and PRP stimulates the collagen production in deeper skin layers and sets your skin’s healing processes into action. They are healed and replaced with fresh tissue, collagen, and growth factors, providing long-lasting effects. Any redness from the process should disappear within a few hours.
There are some things you can do to ensure success with your microneedling treatment. They are as follows:
- Avoid direct sunlight for 2-7 days, depending on how your healing is going
- For the first 24 hours post-treatment, make sure you avoid any abrasive skin care products or anything else that can cause skin irritation. On the day of treatment, avoid applying makeup, sunscreen, tanning lotion, facial peels, or other products that can contain toxic ingredients or irritate the skin.
- Avoid alcohol-based products on the skin as well, as these can be overly drying.
- Redness and slight swelling can happen, so it is best to avoid scheduling social engagements within 24 hours of your treatment.
Your skin should look refreshed and feel tighter after even just one treatment. You’ll likely experience a slight plumping effect to the skin as well. The boost in collagen production will kick in about 48-72 hours post-treatment and may continue for a few weeks. Skin will continue to firm and you will notice a decrease in fine lines and wrinkles.
In fact, a 2008 study found that skin treated with four microneedling sessions spaced about one month apart led to a 400 percent increase in elastin and collagen six months after treatment. You’ll also see a visible reduction in hyperpigmentation and stretch marks, skin texture improvement, UV damage reduction, and tighter skin.
The cost of your Microneedling treatment will vary based on your unique presenting issues and the number of sessions chosen based on these needs. Whether PRP application is included will also affect the cost of a treatment package. After sharing your goals during your consultation and coming up with a treatment plan with Dr. Leffel, you will be given a price quote for our customized procedure.
Schedule your consultation by calling our office or clicking here for more information.